- A block of chilled shortcrust pastry (at room temperature) (PABS02)
- 200g granulated sugar (SUGG04)
- 80ml water
- 150ml double cream (CRMD02)
- 30g unsalted butter (BUTU05/S)
- 1 tablespoon honey (PREH14/S)
- Zest and juice of one large orange
- 350g Mexican Sweet Chilli Mixed Nuts
- 1 vanilla pod (SPIV05)
- Pre-heat oven to 175c. Roll out pastry to fit a 9 inch spring form flan dish (line with greaseproof paper if not spring form), pop in some baking beans and bake blind for approx. 15 mins.
- Put sugar into a saucepan and place over a low heat until sugar dissolves, turning golden. Add the water, increase the heat and bring to the boil. Cook until syrup is a deep amber colour – this should take around 10 mins.
- Remove from the heat and add the orange juice. Gradually add the cream whilst stirring and then whisk.
- Place back on to a low heat. Whisk in the butter, honey, orange zest, and seeds from the vanilla pod. Stir in the Mexican Sweet Chilli Mixed Nuts.
- Pour the filling into the pastry crust and bake until tart filling is bubbling – this should take around 15 mins. Remove from the oven and allow to cool on a rack. Serve with crème fraiche, along with a dusting of cocoa powder and orange zest.
Mexican Sweet Chilli Mixed Nuts: Roasted peanuts, almonds and cashews with red chillies and a dusting of fennel.